Two types of hair dryers used by people in Arizona and across the US have been recalled due to the risk of fires, burns and electric shocks. When someone goes to use his or her hair dryer after a shower, he or she could sustain severe injuries or even death if the hair dryer and its power cord overheat and bursts on fire. The Allure and Allure Pro hair dryers made by Xtava were sold with other hair care products or alone and featured designs in black and white.
Over 193 people reported overheating hair dryers and power cords. Some individuals said that the dryers and cords melted in their hands while they were using them. Others reported explosions and fires as a result of the defective product. Eighteen people were burned by the dangerous dryers while two people reported electric shocks. One person was severely burned, and four more people had blistered hands, wrists and fingers after the hair dryers they were using suddenly heated and began to melt their plastic coatings.
Most people who bought the hair dryers did so online on sites like Amazon, eBay and Groupon. The reports of malfunctions have been growing over the years as the dryers were on the market for four years. People who purchased the hair dryers were encouraged to call the manufacturer to get a free replacement and urged to stop using the products immediately. They were taken off the market in August 2018 when the recall was issued.
When people buy a hair dryer or another household appliance, they should be able to expect that it will be safe to use and free of dangerous defects. Unfortunately, too often, this is not the case. When people have been hurt by a dangerous or defective appliance or another product, they can work with an injury lawyer who is knowledgeable about products liability and can help them get compensation for the damages they have suffered.