What will you do if you are involved in a car accident? Will you know which steps to take? Will you make a mistake that could cost you money in the long run?
You hope that you are never part of a car accident, but you know that this could happen in the future. This is why you need to understand the steps to take.
Here are five things you absolutely need to do if you find yourself in this situation:
- Check yourself and your passengers for injuries. There is nothing more important than this one step. You need to check yourself for injuries, while helping passengers if you're able to do so. Any injury, no matter how minor it may appear to be, should receive immediate medical treatment.
- Move your vehicle to safety. As long as you are not too injured to do so, move your car to a safe place. Generally speaking, this means the shoulder of the road.
- Call 911. This is one of the most important steps to take, as it guarantees the timely arrival of both police and an ambulance. Police can gain control of the scene and create a report, while an ambulance is available to take you to a local hospital.
- Exchange information. This is possible after some accidents, but not all. If you are badly hurt, don't worry about doing this. There will be time to figure out these details at a later date.
- Notify your insurance company. You want to let your insurance company know that you got into an accident, as soon as possible.
Again, it's worth noting that your health and well-being is paramount. You need to receive immediate treatment, as neglecting to do so could result in more harm.
As you begin to recover, turn your attention to the insurance claims process and the steps you can take to protect your legal rights. You don't want to sell yourself short. If the other party acted in a negligent manner, you may be able to hold him or her responsible for their actions by filing a lawsuit in the Phoenix civil court system.