The more time you spend on the roadways in and around Phoenix the more you'll realize that you're always in close proximity to commercial trucks.
As you share the road, it's only natural to have some concerns about being part of an accident. After all, a crash with one of these large vehicles can lead to serious injury or even death.
With this in mind, it's important to understand the top causes of truck accidents. With this knowledge, you can make decisions to help you avoid trouble.
Here are some of the most common causes of truck accidents:
- Inadequate training, which often falls back on the trucking company that hires and employs the driver
- Improper maintenance
- System of compensation that encourages a trucker to spend too many hours on the road and/or drive faster than the speed limit
- Distracted driving, which ranges from texting to talking on a cellphone to eating and drinking
- Reckless driving, with some of the most common examples including swerving in and out of traffic and failure to yield
- Drowsy driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol and/or prescription medication
As the driver of a passenger vehicle, you can do your part in staying safe. For example, you always pay attention to the road and do whatever it takes to obey traffic rules.
While you're doing your part, you don't know what a trucker is thinking. While most of these individuals realize how important it is to remain safe, some continue to make mistakes that put others at risk.
If you are part of a truck accident, there's a good chance you'll suffer an injury. This is due largely to the size difference between a commercial truck and passenger vehicle.
Once you call 911, stay where you are and wait for police and an ambulance to arrive.
As you receive treatment and attempt to make a full recovery, learn more about the accident. Also, with knowledge of your legal rights you can decide if you're able to seek compensation from the negligent party.